Contrary to what I posted on Medium, this was written with someone in mind. It was a little white lie that I’m sure no one will believe. However, everything else in that intro was true and on point. I love to write because it is therapeutic, but I also have a nasty habit of keeping some things in at the expense of my sanity, emotional wellbeing, and physical health. Sometimes life gives you a lot of things to deal with all at once and writing helps me ease the pain and find clarity in a way that I can’t find anywhere else. It’s not that having a heart to heart with friends doesn’t help, but friends are only there a part of the time. Best friends will stick around a little longer than your acquaintances, but when push comes to shove, how many people will truly be there? WHO will always have your back? Who knows your every thought better than…yourself?
And so I sat down one day with a nothing more than a cup of tea, my trusty pen, and my notebook. I let it all out. Rather than generalize and then get specific, I decided to start specific and apply it generally. People who know me well, and by well I mean we talk on a weekly basis, will undoubtedly know who I had in mind. Those who don’t will be lost, but don’t you fret, because this piece is for you as well. There are common strains in humanity and if ever you’ve felt that you’ve loved someone for a slew of reasons, then you know these feelings and thoughts.
It’s about love, it’s about seeing someone for who you believe them to be, whether that is a correct assumption or not – whether they prove that to you or not, and it’s about loving unrequitedly so that you may be forced to love unconditionally. It is not naiveté, but rather, faith, trust, and a belief in yourself that fuels the fire of love and keeps it burning bright even when you want to put it out and go to sleep.
So without further ado, I present to you:
10 Things I Love About You (and you should too)
by Vincent Tang.
10. You’re real and raw. None of that two-faced, three-faced, four-faced stuff. All of that just gets confusing. I like that there’s one face that reveals it all. Rather than being something you’re not, you only embody what you are and that is remarkably rare. When you find someone real and sincere, who lets their true selves shine, you always walk next to them, not before them or behind them, but side by side — and I intend to do just that.
9. You’re beautiful, graceful, and elegant, but a little rough around the edges. Long hair, short hair, or no hair, what does it matter? Beauty and gracefulness are inherently yours. We’re not talking about the way you fill a dress, a crop-top, or a classy pair of heels — that’s hot, but shallow and without feeling. The elegance that surrounds you is the one emanating from the inside out. You’re a fairy tale princess born into the modern day. A princess with rough edges, but not the bad kind of edges — the edges that signify uniqueness, individualism, and quirkiness. Your quirkiness kills me — it’s cute, it’s fun, and it’s funny, but most of all, it’s endearing.
8. You make mistakes and you learn from them. I don’t know all the mistakes you’ve made in your life, but I know you’ve made plenty and I know you have a conscience and morals. As a real and raw person (see #10) you don’t hide your regrets or your remorse. When you make mistakes, you acknowledge them because you know you’re not perfect. That’s the thing that sets arrogant people apart from confident people. Arrogant people are “never wrong” and confident people know they are only human and that mistakes happen every day. But you learn and no one can EVER fault you for learning and growing.
7. You feel and aren’t afraid of feeling. That’s why you have these ups and downs. If we take away the biological stimuli like hunger, allergies, weather, and such, but kept all the things that lead to emotions and feelings, you would still have ups and downs. Your ups and downs are powerful and passionate in a way that I have never seen before in my life. So, when you speak about them and let them out, I have no choice but to feel the same intense emotions. This makes you a great storyteller.
6. You’re truthful to me and don’t hide. I don’t how much of yourself you hide from me and a part of me doesn’t want to know, although, quite frankly, most of me wants to know everything. I stand by my belief that you don’t hide much because I’ve always thought of you as a person who wants to talk, discuss, and discover. I trust you and that’s not an easy thing for me. I trusted my gut the first time I laid eyes on you and I have never looked back or doubted since — don’t plan to.
5. You’re open and philosophical. Conversations with you are never, ever dull. As a matter of fact, they are always exciting. I’m a man of ideas, discussion, and facilitation and there’s nothing more stimulating than you sitting down and speaking with me over a cup of coffee because your mind is hot. It’s sexy and it’s steamy. It’s like a romance novel and the protagonist is your brain. Imagine your brain in some sexy clothes. Exactly. No one has a brain like yours, I guarantee it.
4. You dream big, but realistically. Another one of your strengths is your imagination. It’s massive and it’s inclusive, but it’s also very relatable. I want so bad to be lost in your worlds. And just like you do when you tell some of your stories, you dream big. The thing is — you dream big, but they are actual and realistic goals, even if you don’t know it just yet.
3. You have a pretty face and I fucking love it. SO. MUCH.
2. You influence me in good ways. Not only do you inspire me to discover my own passion, delve into my own imagination, and seek out new experiences, you also make me feel. You make me feel good and you make me feel alive. How much someone influences you and how much they are able to hurt you through simple actions are great indicators of how much they mean to you and how much influence they have on your life. You’ve touched my life greatly. I freely admit that you are an important part of my life — a very, very important part. Still, I am afraid to admit just how much.
1. There is someone else like you out there with that brain and her name is Anneliese. There’s someone out there with a pretty face I could look at all day long and her name is Sarah. Katy has eyes that are big, inquisitive, and beautiful just like yours. Hannah has your smile and sometimes she even wears dark lipstick. There is girl out there who has an amazing body and her name is Rochelle. Ilana has a beautiful soul — the kind you dance with and never want to let go.
But out of all that, you’re the only one with the best of those worlds. The most powerful combination. You see, there are so many people out there and many of them are alike in some way, shape, or form, but you’re the only one with THIS specific combination. And it’s the best combination anyone can ever hope for.